Pages

7.13.2014

Garden Fresh Tomato's = Homemade Salsa

At our house we love salsa, but we are very picky about it!  It can't be too sweet, too chunky, too soupy or have too much cilantro.  I love that my husband loves to get in the kitchen and try new stuff so when he found this salsa recipe he wanted to try I was all for it.  Of course it came from the Pioneer Woman.  I haven't tried a recipe of hers that I haven't like.  This simple salsa recipe is amazing!  

Yesterday my husband picked a bucket full of tomatoes from our little garden.  He is not a huge tomato fan, but I am.  I wasn't always, but I love them now.  Salsa was the first thing that popped in his head, so today after church we made a double batch with our fresh from the garden tomatoes.  I must say the salsa is even better with fresh tomatoes.

So we had some fun in the kitchen this afternoon!  Blanching and peeling tomatoes, chopping peppers, onions and cilantro and blending it all up!  

First time I ever blanched tomatoes and I must say makes it super easy to peel them.

Cutting them in half and adding them to the blender.

 Kev chopping up the onion, jalapeno's and lime.

Everything you need for good salsa!

 Add it all to the blender...

 and blend away...

 We made a double batch!  Our parents will be happy when we show up with a jar of salsa in a few days!

Here is the Pioneer Woman's Recipe 

Restaurant Style Salsa

1 can 28 oz Whole Tomatoes w/ juice (we used 14 small fresh roma tomatoes)
2 can Rotel (1 regular, 1 mild)
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, chopped
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped 
1/2 whole lime juice

Put it all in a blender or food processor until you get the consistency you'd like.  Taste test and adjust to your liking.  Enjoy! 

*you can click on Pioneer Woman above to go to her website for the recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your wonderful thoughts...