Pages

7.25.2013

Mema's Cobbler

I don't know where to begin when it comes to my Mema!  I love her so much and I miss her everyday.  She was the best grandmother and an amazing Christian woman.  I was blessed to have her in my life for 25 years.  She had 19 grandkids and she loved each and every one of us with her whole heart.  She loved us all the same, too.  Some of lived next door, some down the road and some hours away in another state, but we all felt equal.  She was just Mema!


One of my favorite things about Mema was that she was fabulous in the kitchen.  Thanksgiving and Christmas day at her house was the best.  Her dressing will never be matched--EVER!  She also made the most wonderful desserts.  Some of my favorites were her fried pies, pumpkin pie and cobbler.  No one could make cobbler like her.  Below is a picture of Mema and Pepa in the kitchen at their old house...


My Mema passed away November 1, 1998 and going home to Kentucky hasn't been the same since.  I miss so many things about her.  She gave the best advice and never had a bad thing to say about anyone.  She could put you in your place without rising her voice or being mean and she could just look at you and you knew how much you were loved.  My house is filled with reminders of her.  I have her wooden purse that she use to bring to church--she always had candy in it for me.  My kitchen is filled with the very "dust collectors" she had her kitchen.  One of the old blue tin coffee pots still has Pepa's twist of tobacco in it.

My mother got her mom's passion for cooking/baking and so do I.  After Mema died I was never able to find her cobbler recipe and I would try recipes and nothing tasted like hers.  They were either too much like a pie crust, too doughy or something just wasn't right.  There was one woman at our church in Indiana that could make a blackberry cobbler that was oh so close to Mema's.  One night while at my Aunt Jean's I was telling her how much I wish I had Mema's cobbler recipe and she was like "just a minute" and she grabs a cookbook and thumbs through it and minutes later hands me a notecard.  There in Mema's handwriting is Lazy Woman's Cobbler.  I couldn't believe it.  I was so excited and couldn't wait to get home and make a cobbler.  I didn't care if it was peach, blackberry or cherry I just wanted to get the crust to taste like Mema's.

I made Peach---

So here is the recipe:

1 Stick REAL Butter
1 Cup Self-Rising Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup of Milk (I use 2%)
2 Cups of FRESH FRUIT (Blackberry or Peach are best)

So you start by melting your butter in the oven...

While your butter is melting peel and cut up your peaches

 and mix together your next 3 ingredients

Next pour your batter into the middle of your melted butter

 than add your peaches and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes

* The key is REAL BUTTER, FRESH FRUIT and NO SKINNY MILK*

and here is a Yummy Peach Cobbler



Next time I will be making Blackberry which is my favorite, my guys requested peach this time!

I was Mema's first grandchild back in '73

This is Mema and me on my wedding day in '96


and in early '98 I gave birth to her first Great Grandchild

I wish she was still here so my boys could truly know her and so she could know them and all her other great grandchildren and all my cousin's spouses.  I know she is in Heaven and I will see her again someday though.  Love you Mema!  Thanks for being you!


Catch a Glimpse Button

2 comments:

  1. Your story brings tears to my eyes, what an absolute treasure to get that recipe!!! Your description of her is so very similar to my own Grandma who I miss so so much too. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tribute. I can't tell you how many of my friends ask for that recipe. Friday, in fact, my friend Joni, texted me...how do you make that cobbler?

    ReplyDelete

Your wonderful thoughts...