Pages

4.26.2015

Spring Training

After my half marathon in February I had to take a break from running due to a hip injury.  Sadly, every time I tried to run my hip was killing me.  In all my craziness I pretty much just stopped doing everything.  I should of continued to strength train and do other cardio, but I was mad and just stopped everything.

A week before Run The Bluegrass I did a couple short runs and a 10 miler.  It wasn't my best, but I was running/jogging/walking and getting it done so I was happy.  I knew I wasn't going to be PR on that hilly course, but I still wanted to do my best.



If you are going to run a difficult half do it with friends!  Makes it so much more fun.  Luckily I met up with my girlfriends for a fun weekend.  We met up Friday had a wonderful dinner and hung out in our hotel room catching up.  Saturday we were up bright and early to do a hilly half marathon through horse country.  Oh, did I mention it was 24 degrees at the start of the race.






Kristie and I started in the same wave so we took off together and I stayed with her for a long time.  I believe we were at about mile 8.3 when I told her to go one without me.  Not only was my hip hurting me, but my knees were, too.  I managed to wobble across the finish line 2 hours and 45 minutes after I started.

It was a beautiful run.  It was a hilly run, but not too awful.  The dreaded mile 9 wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either.  I enjoyed the first 9 miles and than the pain set it and I just wanted to finish.  I was very upset with myself.  Why did I stop strength traning?  Why didn't I do another type of cardio?  What was I thinking!?!?!

YEAH!  It's over!

Kristie rocked it!

My amazing sister-in-law getting it done!

BUT--when it was over I was happy to celebrate with great friends.  Not only did I have my girlfriends that I was spending the weekend with, but I got to see a ole college buddy and my new running buddy from Huntsville came up for the run, too. 

Monica (my college friend)

Kristie and I with our free Kentucky Ale

All my girls!

Kristin and I 

We ran, we ate and drank beer and we napped!  Now it's time to have a great dinner and find a local pub so we can watch the Kentucky game!



It was a great weekend!  After getting home my hip was good after a couple days.  I went for a few walks and some shorts jog/runs, but still didn't get back into training mode.  So 2 weeks later when the Bridge Street Half rolled around my knees gave out around mile 6.  I was so mad at myself.  What should of a been a great run due to it being a flat and fast course ended up being a painful 2 hours and 47 minutes!  I have learned my lesson big time.  Strength training is a must and if you can't run you can still do other cardio.





Although I am not happy with myself for slacking, I am happy that I did finish both half marathons.  I signed up for them months ago and had high hopes, but sometimes things get in the way to slow you do.  The key is to work around whatever is slowing you down.  Lesson learned!

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your wonderful thoughts...